Saturday, May 25, 2013

Macklemore

Any of you heard the rapper Macklemore? Maybe you know him by his song "Thrift Shop". Macklemore is one of the most famous white rappers out in the music business. His real name is Ben Haggerty but when he started his career in 2000, he changed it to Macklemore. He started collaborating with producer Ryan Lewis, a trumpeter Owuor Arunga, and a violinist named Andrew Joslyn.
I know what your thinking, I didn't even know that Macklemore existed in 2000? Neither did I. He actually had an online fanbase and had music on YouTube. That is how his video for Thrift Shop was viewed over 300 million times and made number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot Chart. The song had over 2.2 million copies sold! 
That is not his only song though. I have been noticing his song Can't Hold Us has been very popular lately. Everyday in the morning I watch VH1 and Fuse TV and the music video is always playing. 
Recently I was listening to Pandora Radio and a song came on. I looked to see what song it was because the first few seconds was a piano playing. The song was called "Same Love" by Macklemore. When I listened to the whole song I instantly fell in LOVE with it! I think that it sends a very strong message to the world about Gay Rights. Macklemore himself supports gay marriage (obviously if he made a song about it). When I listened to it I thought, "Is Macklemore gay?" There is some debate with this topic. According to Chicago Now, Macklemore said that he doesn't really know himself if he's gay or not. 
In the song he said he questioned himself when he was younger whether he was gay or not. He thought that certain characteristics that made you gay or straight. Thinking that because he kept his room clean and because his uncle was gay, that made him gay. He also thought that because he was good at baseball that made him straight. I thought the message was very strong and really opens up people's eyes about gay marriage and rights. 
Whether he is stealing your grandpa's style or your heart, Macklemore is a very excellent role model towards other people because of what message he displays through music. 

Yours Truly,
Carrot (:

Same Love-Macklemore



citations:
Kiplinger, Anne. "Music Mom." Is Macklemore Gay? Funny, He Had the Same Question Himself. Chicago Internet Marketing Service, 11 Mar. 2013. Web. 25 May 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment